Communicating With Your Real Estate Agent

Parent Has Dementia And You Want To Move Closer To Them? 3 Tips On Finding The Right House

If your parent has been diagnosed with dementia, you likely want them to be closer to you. This will allow you to keep a close eye on them as they go through the stages of this horrible disease. If you are planning to move closer to their home to do this, below are some tips on finding the right house for you and your family.

Choose Property That Is Large Enough

When buying a new home, make sure the property is large enough. This is just in case you want to add on, such as a bedroom for your parent, if you want them to ever live with you.

Having enough space would also allow a builder to build a small home on your property for your parent to live in. This will give your parent some independence and allow you to keep a close eye on them.  To save money, there are small modular homes that you could have built on your property. There are also small cottages available to build. To save money, you can make them much smaller than a traditional home.

Choose a House That Is Large Enough

If you do not want your parent to live on your land but would prefer they lived inside your home, make sure your home has enough bedrooms. This way your parent could have their own space if they ever want to be alone. Look for a home that has a bedroom with a bathroom attached to it. This will allow your parent easy access to the bathroom if they ever need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. They will not have to wander around your home looking for a bathroom, which could cause them to become injured.

Choose an Open Floor Plan

A person with dementia can get confused in their own home. For example, they can get lost going from their bedroom to the kitchen. For this reason, a house with an open floor plan would be beneficial for them. For example, you could make your kitchen, dining room, and living room one large room. This will allow you to keep an eye on your parent easier, and your parent will be able to find you much easier if they feel lost.

Talk with a real estate agent at an agency like Keller Williams Realty-Felicia F. Long, and they can show you many houses that are for sale in the area close to where your parent lives.